Stockholm Arlanda Airport set a new passenger record in 2016 which brought it very close to passing the 25 million passenger mark.
- The airport served 24,702,000 passengers last year, a 7% increase over 2015.
- This is the sixth straight year that the airport sets new records, with an annual increase of as many as 1,938,000 passengers.
- Passenger volume at Arlanda is up 7.6 million since 2010.
“We had more than 500,000 passengers a week for 18 week in a row, which is also a new record,” says Lena Rökaas, acting airport director and chief operating officer at Stockholm Arlanda Airport. “This is clear confirmation of Stockholm Arlanda Airport’s importance for access in Sweden and to the rest of the world. During the year, we launched a number of major construction projects to further increase Stockholm Arlanda’s capacity.”
Sweden is Hot
Air travel in Sweden is rising sharply.
- Travel to and from Swedavia’s ten airports around the country increased 5% last year to more than 39 million passengers.
- In 2016, international travel increased 7% to 19,424,000 passengers
- Domestic travel increased 4% to 5,277,000 passengers.
- July was the month with the greatest passenger volume, more than 2.3 million passengers, compared to 1.6 million in January.
- Friday, June 17, was the most intense travel day, with 86,761 passengers.
- The greatest growth is in the leisure travel segment.
- Intercontinental traffic was up 13.5%
- European traffic was up 7.9%.
“It is really great that travel is growing so much. Stockholm Arlanda Airport is a vital hub for access within as well as to and from Sweden,” Ms Rökaas adds. “In 2016, we added more new international direct routes, for a total of 15 in three years. We also have a number of international low cost carriers launching routes to appealing destinations, which makes the airport even more attractive to our passengers. This strengthens us in the major work now under way to increase airport capacity.”
Seven of Swedavia’s ten airports set a new passenger record for the full-year 2016 and both Stockholm airports set passenger records. Bromma Stockholm Airport passed “the magic mark” of 2.5 million passengers, according to Swedavia.