Skip to content
Home » Urban Air Mobility eVTOL » Regulators Clear Embraer/Nidec JV for eVTOL Electric Propulsion

Regulators Clear Embraer/Nidec JV for eVTOL Electric Propulsion

The establishment of Nidec Aerospace LLC, a joint venture between Japan’s Nidec Corporation and Brazil’s Embraer, has received unconditional approval from all required regulatory authorities. This collaboration aims to develop Electric Propulsion Systems (EPS) for the aerospace industry, including eVTOL aircraft, leveraging both companies’ unique strengths and expertise.

eVTOL aircraft on helipad. a joint venture between Japan's Nidec Corporation and Brazil's Embraer, has received unconditional approval from all required regulatory authorities. This collaboration aims to develop Electric Propulsion Systems (EPS) for the aerospace industry, including eVTOL aircraft, leveraging both companies' unique strengths and expertise.
eVTOL aircraft on helipad. Source: Embraer

Vincent Braley, who currently serves as the chief of staff for Nidec’s Motion and Drives business in the United States, has been appointed as the CEO of Nidec Aerospace. With his extensive experience in business development and management, Braley will lead the joint venture toward future growth.

“This approval marks a significant milestone not only in Nidec Motion & Energy’s joint venture with Embraer but also in our shared vision to advance and electrify the way the world travels,” said Michael Briggs, Senior Vice President and President of the Motion & Energy Business Unit at Nidec. “Now, with official clearance to proceed, the Nidec Aerospace team is poised to bring the expertise, speed, and drive needed to accelerate sustainable aviation on a global scale.”

“We are thrilled with the unconditional clearance. The next step will be the integration of these two powerful operational and engineering capabilities focused on business excellence. Together, our extraordinary teams will be able to develop advanced solutions to collaborate with the future of sustainable aviation,” said Dimas Tomelin, Senior Vice President of Corporate Strategy, Digital, and Innovation at Embraer.

eVTOL Power: Tapping into a USD 1.5 Trillion Market

The partners unveiled the new business collaboration at the Paris Air Show in June. The goal is to create opportunities worldwide by offering diverse products and services. Initially, the focus will be on the growing Urban Air Mobility (UAM) industry. According to Morgan Stanley Research, the UAM market could reach USD 1.5 trillion by 2040.

The eVTOL manufacturer Eve Air Mobility (NYSE: EVEX, EVEXW) will be the launch customer for the joint venture’s Electric Propulsion Systems. Eve Air Mobility is an independent company that aims to become a global leader in the UAM segment. The company will provide a sustainable and efficient urban transportation solution. Embraer will contribute its expertise and resources in controller technology. Nidec will provide its expertise and resources in electric motors.

Nidec owns 51% of the joint venture, with Embraer owning the remaining 49%. To kick-start mass production in 2026, Nidec Aerospace plans to invest over USD 77 million in the coming years.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Cookie Consent with Real Cookie Banner