United showed off the capabilities of its new Bluetooth-enabled planes, emphasizing new AirPods Pro features that make it easier for passengers and flight crews to connect and communicate. The airline plans to modernize and grow its fleet as part of its United Next experience. The carrier currently offers Bluetooth connectivity on over 100 planes. The airline plans to offer the feature on about 800 aircraft by 2032.
- United Airlines shows how new wireless headphone features, like those in the new AirPods Pro, help customers connect to their seatback screens and make it easier to communicate with flight crews.
- United aircraft offer more Bluetooth connectivity than any other airline – currently available on more than 100 planes and available on more than 800 by 2032.
How AirPods Pro Features Enhance United’s In-Flight Service
Travelers using AirPods Pro can now enjoy various innovative features during their flights. These features include seamless connection to United’s new seatback screens and functionalities like Conversation Awareness and Adaptive Audio. With Conversation Awareness, the volume automatically lowers when the user starts speaking. This makes it easier to communicate with flight attendants while ordering food or beverages. Adaptive Audio is another notable AirPods Pro feature ideally suited to flight. It dynamically adjusts the noise control based on the user’s environment, such as reducing the noise from plane engines. These features are available for all AirPods Pro (2nd generation) users.
United: First US Airline to Roll Out Bluetooth
“United was the first U.S. airline to roll out Bluetooth, and when we saw Apple’s new AirPods features, we knew it could be a game changer for our customers and our employees,” said Jason Birnbaum, United’s Chief Information Officer. “People want to stay connected while they’re in the air, but there’s also a lot of interactions between our crew and customers – the technological combination of wireless connectivity, Conversation Awareness, and Adaptive Audio result in a great experience for everyone.”
How to Pair Bluetooth Headphones on United Airlines Planes
To pair your AirPods Pro or other Bluetooth headphones with United’s new and retrofit planes:
- Locate the Bluetooth icon on the toolbar at the bottom of the seatback screen monitor.
- Turn on Bluetooth and ensure your headphones are not connected to other devices.
- Put your headphones in pairing mode, then select the device from the list of available options.
- Now, you can enjoy a variety of entertainment options like TV shows, movies, podcasts, curated playlists, and more, all without the hassle of wired headphones!
United and Apple: A Decade of Innovative Applications
United Airlines has incorporated Apple products into its operations for over a decade to enhance passenger experience. Some of these initiatives include:
- In 2011, United Airlines became the first to introduce a paperless flight deck using iPads.
- More than 120,000 Apple devices, such as iPhones and iPads, have been distributed to United Airlines employees. This has enabled seamless communication and real-time connectivity among the staff members.
- United Airlines utilizes iPads equipped with Touch ID to obtain quick sign-off on essential documents. This allows efficient aircraft release procedures and reduces passenger delays.
- United Airlines has also introduced Live Activities support for the United app on iPhones. This feature gives users timely flight updates. Important flight details appear on the Lock Screen or the Dynamic Island on their Home Screen. United Airlines was the first US airline to provide these convenient and user-friendly features.
Other Technology and Passenger Experience Enhancements on United’s Planes
United Airlines has introduced various enhancements to its new and retrofitted planes. These include Bluetooth connectivity, seatback screens for every seat, spacious overhead compartments, and fast Wi-Fi on narrowbody aircraft. United Polaris® business class offers individual pods with lie-flat seats and 16-inch seatback screens for widebody planes. To further improve customer experience, United has also partnered with Therabody and Saks Fifth Avenue to provide new business-class amenity products and services.
A Sustainable Fleet
Not only do these new planes offer passenger amenities, but they also prioritize fuel efficiency and environmental sustainability. United aims to achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. Their new aircraft play a crucial role in achieving this goal. The Boeing 787 Dreamliner, for example, offers up to 25% improvement in fuel efficiency and lower carbon emissions per seat compared to older models. Similarly, the Airbus A321neo brings a 50% reduction in noise, over 20% fuel savings, and significant CO2 reduction compared to previous single-aisle aircraft.
United plans to have 75% of its fleet comprising new-generation planes by 2030. These updates demonstrate United’s commitment to providing a superior travel experience while minimizing its environmental impact.